Monday, June 20, 2011

Painted Flower Pots

I have what some people refer to as a "black thumb". I absolutely, positively, kill any plant I come in contact with. Last summer I received a gorgeous plant for my birthday and proudly kept it alive for approximately 8 months before it withered into non-existence. This "black thumb" is especially problematic because I would genuinely like to grow some plants. I love flowers, and would adore some fresh grown herbs to cook with (especially since I received a ton of seed packets while I was volunteering a few months back). On my wish list is Dill weed (my favorite to cook with), Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Basil, and Oregano. I also wouldn't turn up my nose to some Lavender and maybe even an Aloe Vera plant! Anyways, after MUCH deliberation, I have decided that the best way to begin this endeavor would be to play to my strengths. So, I'm starting with the flower pots (or herb pots as the case may be). I've always had a things for trees with no leaves. I love the way the branches remind me of lace. So, therein lies my project. Flower pots with trees painted on them! I began by purchasing 4 (to start with) pots at Michaels for 2 dollar apiece. And luckily I already had some white spray paint lying around from a current project I'm working on--spray-painting 2 adirondack chairs that I recently bought on ebay (you'll get to see that project on here soon, as well). So all I really needed to do was make a quick trip to Home Depot to pick up some bronze metallic spray paint for the base and the rim of the pot and a little espresso colored regular paint to use to paint a simple tree design on the main part of the pot . Here is the end result, from the original pot, to the spray-painted pot, to the final product! The tree isn't the most spectacular painting in existence, (obviously) but I'm quite proud of the overall look! Now, I just need to get my butt in gear and grow some stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment